10 Tips for Positive Parenting
I recently visited some colleagues at a local organization and they had a great little flyer providing 10 tips for positive parenting so I thought I would share those tips with you. Some of these feel as though they should be common sense, but I have learned over the years to never assume. Additionally, it is always good to be reminded of easy ways to engage children in a positive manner. The benefits of these tips to you, your child, and your relationship are exponential.
- Be a good role model. Your child learns from the example you set.
- Give your child praise, lots of hugs and say, “I love you” often.
- Set simple rules and consequences, and enforce them consistently.
- Discipline fairly, firmly, and always with love. Never use violence or put-downs.
- Always show respect for your child’s thoughts and feelings.
- Spend as much time as you can with your child. Remember, you can never be too busy for your child.
- Know what’s going on in your child’s life. You should absolutely know details about their social and school life.
- Encourage daily learning that goes on outside of school.
- Make sure your child eats healthy foods, exercises and gets plenty of sleep.
- Keep a sense of humor and work to manage stress in healthy ways.
And, always remember if you or your child are, despite your best efforts, struggling with behavioral or emotional issues it is 100% okay to ask for help. If you find yourself in need of help please visit Garrison Psychology and Counseling Services website (www.garrisontherapy.net) to schedule an appointment.